Wednesday 14 January 2015

The Hair Masks That Made The Cut



While a red lipstick never fails to get my heart racing, there is nothing like the discovery of a new hair product for me and I have a particular penchant for hair masks; we’re talking full on heart palpitations when I spy something new in the aisles of Boots.

Perhaps because I spent my first 18 months of life as a bald baby and now as a serial bottle-blonde my hair is already past its prime in its 23 years of existence (minus those initial 18 months though mind) and I have a real weakness for hair masks in particular.  Their promises of long, thick and lustrous locks, not to mention those that actually say they will make your hair grow has resulted in me racking up quite the stash.


I recently had a big de-clutter in the spirit of the New Year and these are the hair masks that made the cut. 

Lee Stafford ‘’Hair That Never Grows Past A Certain Length’’ (£10.99) I remember buying this years and years ago and I thought the price of this was so expensive which I find really amusing because now I would file this under ‘bargain buy’ for the price point and quantity you get in the big tub. I definitely don’t think it makes your hair grow but I feel like I’m doing some good in using it. It does make my hair feel soft and manageable after washing but I tend to treat it more as a normal conditioner than an intensive mask.

Would I repurchase? No. This is my third tub of this mask and it will probably be my last. I’ve found better things that I’d rather spend my money on- such as buying one really good mask rather than several ‘high street’ brands that I think are just so-so.


Lee Stafford ‘’Breaking Hair Treatment ’’ (£10.99) Much the same as the Hair Growth mask from Lee Stafford, I use the Breaking Hair Treatment as a daily conditioner as I feel my hair needs and can take a deep conditioner with every wash instead of a weekly treatment. I don’t know if my hair was any more resilient to breakage with this conditioner but it left it smooth and I like it as much as any nourishing conditioner.

Would I repurchase? No.


John Frieda Frizz Ease Miraculous Recovery (£3.99) I think we’ve established I like to use hair masks as a daily conditioner by now? This is one of my favourites from the bunch as there really isn’t anything to not like about it. It’s cheap and it works. If I just need super soft hair I always reach for this mask even over my ‘posh’ ones. I know I’ll like the results and my hair blow-dries nicely after using this. I don’t know if it is packed full of silicone which is what my hair feels so good but when I’m having those ‘Ahh my hair is so dry and damaged I should just chop it off an start again’ days this will always stop my irrational thoughts.

Would I repurchase? Yes. Again and again. 


Philip Kingsley Elasticizer (£15) Considering how much I love hair and try to take the best care of my own sometimes I can be a bit lazy when it comes to thinks like a conventional mask which suggest keeping it in for more than 3 minutes. Because who is going to stand in the shower dripping wet for 30 minutes while your hair mask gets to work? This is why I love this hair mask, as technically it is not a mask but a pre-shampoo treatment.

Would I repurchase? Yes. 


Redken Extreme Strength Builder (£15.90) This is what currently sits in my shower and is my most recent purchase. I use a lot of hair products and I think I’ve got the nourishment side down so now I’m concentrating on the strength of my hair. I’m forever trying to grow my hair but the hair frames my face has a nasty habit of snapping off due to this being where I concentrate on styling and probably go a little heavy handed with straighteners. The protein in this is what adds strength to each strand of hair so here’s hoping I finally grow my fringe out in 2015.

Would I repurchase? Yes. 

Ojon Rare Blend Deep Conditioner (£30) Late in 2013 I discovered Ojon and I haven’t looked back since. I now have a whole stash of their shampoos and conditioners stocked on stand-by and this conditioner lives up to its price tag. The conditioner has an oil blend in one half and a rich butter on the other which both nourish my dry ends. This goes on thick but it doesn’t weigh my hair down even though I’m guilty of slathering this on all the way up to my roots.

Would I repurchase? Yes. But if I was waiting for pay day I would pick up Dove’s version as that is pretty good too. 


Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment Plus™ (£34.50) This solid balms turns into an oil when you warm it up in your hands and I tend to use this as an overnight mask. It does make my hair feel soft but I need a double shampoo in the morning to lift all that grease.

Would I repurchase? No


V05 Hot Oil – (£4.29 for a pack of 4) I found this lonesome little tube during my big clear out so I thought I’d keep it and give it one last go. I don’t think I use this right to give it a fair shot because the only heating up this gets is when I throw it on the floor of my shower as I shampoo. I find this too fiddly and the effect I get from it isn’t anything a few pumps of Moroccan Oil can’t beat.

Would I repurchase? No

So that's my current hair mask stash. What else do I NEED to buy? 


No comments:

Post a Comment