Thursday 21 May 2015

Review: The Bodyguard at The Regent Theatre Stoke

On Wednesday I was invited along to go and see The Bodyguard at The Regent Theatre which I was so excited to see, being a huge fan of the 1992 film- 1992 say what? I was one. I obviously caught this movie on VHS. 

I brought my sister along as she had never seen the film, I couldn't believe it. So as I was equally excited to see her reaction as well as to watch this favourite story of my mine unfold before my eyes on the stage. 

A very quick recap of this would be me declaring every scene as my favourite part as I really loved it all!

From the first scene I was gripped and the dramatic opening certainly worked in capturing my attention.

The wonderfully talented Zoe Birkett starred as Rachel Marron the movie star and singer who has attracted a dangerous fan; the part famously played by Whitney Houston in the film alongside a rather dishy Kevin Costner as bodyguard Frank Farmer.

Zoe embodied the late Whitney Houston in her immaculate portrayal of Rachel. She had sass, walked and talked with that hint of attitude and the woman has some lungs on her! Girl can siiiiing.
 
The musical was six years in the making before it first graced the stage in 2012. The musical stays true to the film in storyline which we personally loved, it is the perfect chick flick and the theatre brought a favourite film to life and I’d admit it was so much more emotive than the movie. 

I found Zoe’s portrayal of Rachel much easier to relate to than Whitney Houston as Rachel- the karaoke bar scene really showed the human side of Rachel Marron and I think we were all rooting for Frank and Rachel’s romance to blossom. Speaking of Frank, Stuart Reid did Costner proud, he has that moody exterior you know you’re going to enjoy watching as his character unfolds and romance stirs between Rachel and Frank.

I’m no theatre expert (A Level drama is as far as my qualifications can take me in this review) but I found the use of the stage space and screens ingenious as they transported you from Rachel’s mansion, to a log cabin in the woods to an award ceremony with clever lighting and screens. Quite a set. 

I was delighted to realise it was as much a Whitney Houston back catalogue of her greatest hits as it was the story from a favourite film of mine.

Run To You, How Will I Know and Saving All My Love were stunning to listen to and I really enjoyed the upbeat karaoke rendition of Where Do Broken Hearts Go, not to mention Frank’s (Reid) I Will Always Love You which added a charm to his character and comic relief.

Then came the moment we were all waiting for, and it didn’t disappoint. The first note of I Will Always Love You gave me goose bumps and the finale was as dazzling as Rachel’s gorgeous gown.

The cast looked like they were having as much fun as the audience with a big song and dance to see the show off to the beat of ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’.

The car journey home I practically re-enacted the night's show with my rusty renditions and there may have been a Whitney Greatest Hits playlist compiled for my car ride on the way to work in the morning. Oh, and in case you're wondering. My sister loved it and we have scheduled in some time over the Bank Holiday to watch the movie. 


The Bodyguard Musical will be running at the Regent Theatre until Saturday 30th May.  Tickets are available on the website or by contacting the box office direct on 0844 871 7649

No comments:

Post a Comment